The woman killed in Saturday's crash on the Venice boardwalk was on a honeymoon with her husband after getting married two weeks ago in Italy, Italian newspapers reported on Sunday.
Alice Gruppioni, 32, was the newlywed daughter of an Italian businessman from Bologna, Italy. She died with her injured husband at her side at a Los Angeles hospital, the newspaper La Republicca reported.
The groom, Christian Casadei, suffered minor injuries in the 6 p.m. Saturday crash. Relatives from Italy arrived in Los Angeles late Sunday to join him.
Gruppioni reportedly ran a family business in her hometown, Rastignano, a village just south of Bologna. La Republicca reported that she and her husband were building a house there.
An aunt told NBC4 that Gruppioni was a businesswoman and a romantic who had dreamed of visiting California with her husband. She said Gruppioni's death was "a tremendous injustice."
Gruppioni was the daughter of Valerio Gruppioni, a businessman and former president of the Bologna soccer team.
Family members were rushing from Italy to Los Angeles, the newspaper reported, and an official from the Italian consulate office in L.A. was at the hospital as well.
City News Service contributed to this report.
More Southern California Stories:
- Arrest in Fatal Beach Boardwalk Crash
- Vital 405 Fwy Off-Ramp Closes For Four Months
- Huntington Beach Police Fatally Shoot Armed Man
- Body Found in Burned Home After Standoff
- 4th Man Arrested in Ambush of Officers
- Police Convince Mom to Face Abduction Charges
- Deputy Allegedly Pepper Sprays Teen's Pizza
- Alert Citizen Helps Save Teen From Rapist