Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
San Francisco police are investigating a case involving numerous poisonous meatballs, apparently intended for dogs, found on city streets.
They released new photos of the poisoned product on Tuesday.
Investigators said hundreds of meatballs laced with rat poison were deliberately left in areas that dogs frequent so the animals would eat them, get sick and possibly die.
Police have been warning dog owners in the city's Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods about the meatballs for the past week.
A week ago a seven-year-old dachshund named Oskar became critically ill after apparently eating one of the meatballs while on a walk with his owner. His owner took him to the vet quickly and he is expected to recover.
More of the meatballs were reportedly found over the weekend.
Police credited the community for their efforts finding the meatballs. Officers said it was thanks to them that hundreds of the hazardous meatballs were identified, collected and disposed of.
The meatballs, which investigators said contained rodent poison, had been deliberately placed in spots where dogs defecate in the area of Crestline, Burnett and Parkridge drives, according to police.
Anyone who sees anything resembling the meatballs should call the Police Department's non-emergency number at (415) 553-0123.
Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity is asked to call 911.
Police also advised residents in those neighborhoods who have been involved in disputes over pets to call the Park Station investigations team at (415) 242-3000 and ask to speak with Lt. Pengel or Inspector Nannery.
Bay City News contributed to this report.