Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire While Charging, Fire Officials Say - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire While Charging, Fire Officials Say

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire While Charging, Fire Officials Say
    Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department

    A hoverboard sparked a house fire early Wednesday morning in Calvert County, Maryland, fire officials said.

    Fire alarms alerted a family about an early-morning fire at their home in the 2000 block of Mount Pleasant Way in Prince Frederick, according to a release from the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department.

    Crews arrived to find visible smoke and a small fire in the basement of the house.

    After putting out the fire, firefighters found "a serious issue" with a hoverboard inside the residence, officials said. They later determined the hoverboard caught fire while charging.

    Drivers Arrested After Crash and Brawl on Racetrack

    [NATL] Drivers Arrested After Crash and Brawl on Racetrack

    Spectators at the Anderson Speedway in Anderson, Indiana, got more than the race they bargained for when a crash led to a fist fight and eventual arrest of two racecar drivers on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017)

    No one was injured.

    In a press release, the fire department shared tips for hoverboard safety from the National Fire Protection Association, available online here (PDF)