The state of Connecticut has approved the first round of funding for construction of a new Sandy Hook Elementary School building today.
State lawmakers have set aside $50 million to help Newtown build a new school to replace the one where a gunman killed 26 people last December.
Over the summer, the commission unanimously approved allocating $750,000 for the design of the building.
Today, the State Bond Commission voted in favor of the first allocation, $3.7 million, toward construction of a new building.
Gov. Dannel Malloy previously said in a statement that the state is pledging its support and was prepared to approve the funds.
“The tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is never far from our minds. Over the last several months, we’ve done our best to move forward in a way that honors the memory of those we lost and meets the needs of residents and the surrounding community,” Malloy said. “Healing from an enormous tragedy like this is never easy. There are no simple answers, and the challenges are many. With strong resolve and a determination to move forward, we can do our best to support the people of Newtown.”
Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman said the funding is “another way the state is continuing the unwavering support our citizens and our government have shown for them since that dark day that still affects us all.”
Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra thanked lawmakers who backed approving the funds on behalf of the town.
“This support enables our community to move forward with the right and best plan for schooling 450 grades K-4 students who were so impacted by the horrific violence that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. Having these funds available eases our journey in recovery and helps us grow in confidence for a bright future,"Llodra said in a statement.
Friday’s meeting begins at 10:30 a.m. in Room 1E of the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.