Woman Jumps From Burning Home With Her Baby

By Zachary Kiesch
|  Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014  |  Updated 5:05 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A woman escaped a burning house in Prince George's County by jumping to safety with her baby in her arms. News4’s Shomari Stone reports.

Shomari Stone

A woman escaped a burning house in Prince George's County by jumping to safety with her baby in her arms. News4’s Shomari Stone reports.

Photos and Videos

Mom Jumps With Baby To Escape House Fire

A mother in Capitol Heights, Md. jumped from a window of her home with a baby in arms to escape a fire on Tuesday. As Prince George's County reporter Zachary Kiesch found out, the fire was first spotted by two women who worked for the fire department.
More Photos and Videos

A Prince George's County mother is in the hospital after jumping out of a burning window with her baby Tuesday.

Maria Dumlao and Kavona Rodgers of Prince George’s County Fire and EMS were returning to their fire house after taking a patient to a hospital when they saw smoke from the intersection.

“I saw a column of smoke and I told my partner, ‘I think there’s a fire or somebody’s burning a lot of leaves,’” Dumlao said.

“You can tell the difference between a column of steam and a column of Class A combustible smoke, so they proceeded here to the scene,” said Mark Brady of Prince George’s County Fire and EMS.

Having not heard any dispatches over their radio, Dumlao and Rodgers followed the smoke to a home on 63rd Street off Field Street in Seat Pleasant.

“We pull up, and we see the flames rolling out the door and the window,” Rodgers said.

With the front entrance of the home blocked, the family of five went to a second-story back window.

“Emotions are everywhere, because first you don’t know what you’re rolling up on,” Rodgers said. “You don’t know who’s in the home. You don’t know how many children or what have you. My concern was making sure that everyone was out of the home once we arrived.”

Three teenagers, an adult mother and a 1-year-old baby all safely got out of the house.

The woman suffered a burn to her face, smoke inhalation and an ankle injury and was taken to a hospital. Her 1-year-old son was taken to a hospital for evaluation of possible smoke inhalation.

A candle caused the fire. Damage is estimated at $60,000.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993, in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out