A woman has died after suffering serious burns in a house fire in northwest Washington, authorities said.
Ida Thompson, 92, died Monday at the Washington Hospital Center, D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Pete Piringer said. Thompson had been found unconscious in a second-floor bedroom of a house on Luray Place on Friday evening. Piringer said the woman had suffered serious burns and smoke inhalation.
D.C. fire investigators believe the fire was accidental and was caused by an overheated extension cord. It caused $25,000 in damage.
Piringer said Thompson is the eighth person to die in a home fire this year in Washington. Last year, there were 19 fire fatalities in the city.