Gov. Bob McDonnell is encouraging Virginia residents to participate in a statewide tornado drill March 12.
At 9:45 a.m. on that day, NOAA Weather Radio will broadcast a test warning from the National Weather Service. The test warning will then be aired by television and radio stations.
When the test warning is heard, McDonnell says people should move to a safe area, such as a basement, bathroom or closet on the lowest level of a building.
Last year, 11 tornadoes struck Virginia, injuring six people and causing $3 million in property damage.
- One Year Ago: Earthquake Rocks Region
- Deadly Derecho Pummels D.C. Region
- Hampton Declares Emergency for Tornado-Hit Areas
- Viewer Photos: Tornado Warnings With Storm
- Tornado Touches Down on I-95