A father already facing a potential death penalty in the slaying of his 15-month-old son has now been charged in the decade-old killing of an ex-girlfriend.
Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert said Monday that a grand jury indicted 41-year-old Joaquin Shadow Rams of Manassas on murder and related charges for the 2003 shooting death of Shawn Mason.
Ebert said Rams also remains under investigation in the 2008 death of his mother, Alma Collins, which was initially ruled a suicide.
Rams' son, Prince McLeod Rams, died on an unsupervised custody visit. Authorities believe Rams drowned the boy to collect on life insurance. The boy's mother had warned that her son would be in danger if left alone with Rams.
Rams' attorney did not return a phone call seeking comment.
MORE ON NBCWASHINGTON.COM
- Father Could Get Death Penalty in Toddler's Death
- Virginia Father Charged With Toddler's Death
- Prince William Co. Man Hled in Death of Son
- Mother Sues Psychologist Following Toddler's Death
- Va. Toddler's Death Prompts Reviews of 2 Other Deaths