A traffic alert for motorists who take Branch Avenue through southeast Washington.
Beginning Thursday at 10 a.m., Branch Avenue will be closed on both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue. Drivers will not be able to cross over or turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue from Branch Avenue.
Construction crews are rebuilding the intersection as part of an ongoing project. The closure will remain in effect until 5 a.m. Monday.
The work will not affect lanes on Pennsylvania Avenue. All other intersections will remain open. Motorists are advised to avoid the area for the next few days.
The detours listed below are specific to travel on Branch Avenue. Branch Avenue, at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue is the ONLY area that will be closed. All other streets and intersections will be open for through traffic.
Vehicles traveling south (outbound):
- At Randle Circle, make a right onto Massachusetts Avenue.
- Travel east on Massachusetts Avenue then make a right onto Alabama Avenue.
- Travel south on Alabama Avenue then make a left onto Branch Avenue.
- Continue on Branch Avenue towards Maryland.
Vehicles traveling north (inbound):
- Traveling north on Branch Avenue in Maryland, make a right onto Southern Avenue.
- Travel on Southern Avenue then make a left onto Pennsylvania Avenue OR
- Travel on Southern Avenue then make a left onto Massachusetts Avenue.
- At Randle Circle take any exit to your destination.