If you drive on Interstate 95/495 South to Alexandria you'll want to find a different route Friday night into Saturday afternoon. Road crews will close ramps between the Eisenhower Metro overpass and Beltway Bridge over Cameron Run.
Crews will shift lanes in preparation for upcoming construction in the Telegraph Road corridor of the Beltway. Weather permitting, that work will start immediately following Friday's evening rush hour and end Saturday afternoon.
Starting Friday after rush hour:
- Crews will close exits from the inner loop to Telegraph Road South, from Telegraph Road South to the inner loop and from Telegraph Road North to the inner loop.
- The right-most THRU and local lanes will also be shutdown just west of the Metro overpass with left lanes remaining open.
- THRU and LOCAL lanes remain closed, reducing traffic to two lanes as crews relocate barriers and put new striping in the area.
- Traffic will be fully diverted to the new configuration, which includes three lanes of traffic on the inner loop and an extra enter/exit lane.
- Exits and on-ramps to and from Telegraph Road will reopen.
While officials expect only minor delays, drivers should still avoid that part of the Beltway starting Friday night into Saturday. Crews will post overhead and variable message signs to alert drivers of the ongoing work.