Townhouse Fire Displaces Families in Montgomery County

Fire may have started by fireplace or chimney

By Brandon Benavides
|  Monday, Nov 14, 2011  |  Updated 11:36 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
MD Townhouse Fire May Have Started in Chimney

Getty Images

advertisement

Three families are displaced after a fire damaged their townhomes in Montgomery County.

It happened Sunday night in the 17600 block of Shady Spring Terrace in Derwood, Maryland.
 
Investigators said it appears the fire started near the fireplace or chimney.
 
“We are coming to the time of year where fireplaces, chimneys need to be checked. Flues need to be cleaned. Fireplaces need to be cleaned out. For those emptying their fireplaces after using them, make sure the ashes are placed in an approved container… a metal container placed far away from the house,” said Scott Graham, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.
 
Nearly 100 firefighters battled the two-alarm fire.  It appears no one was home at the time. No one was hurt.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out