It's called the silent killer: Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and is believed to have taken the lives of seven Maryland children and their father, whose bodies were found in their Princess Anne home Monday.
Here are three ways to protect your family from being exposed:
1. Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors. It's required by law in the D.C. area -- and they cost as little as $30 at home improvement stores. Install one on each floor of your home.
2. Check your appliances. Gas appliances like ranges, ovens or even clothes dryers can produce carbon monoxide if they're not installed properly or working properly, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
3. Have your chimneys and vents inspected every year by a service technician. A blockage could cause carbon monoxide to back up into your home.
Here are links to more information: