An unattended candle in a studio apartment caused a fire at a building near Logan Circle.
D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel battled a three-alarm fire at the Windsor House at 1444 Rhode Island Ave. NW Tuesday evening.
Firefighters responding to a call at about 4:45 p.m. regarding a fire on the 10th floor of the high-rise apartment building encountered heavy smoke and flames.
Several people needed to be evacuated or needed assistance exiting the building, fire spokesman Pete Piringer told NBC Washington's Jackie Bensen. Rescues began inside but some had to be evacuated via ladder. Two women rescued from windows were taken to hospitals and released.
Five people, including two firefighters, were injured, but none of the injuries is believed to be life-threatening, Piringer said.
Residents have been allowed back into the building only briefly to collect their belongings.
About 125 firefighters responded to the three alarms.
Rhode Island Ave. was shut down on that block, and 15th Street was closed in the vicinity while firefighters extinguished the blaze. Traffic along the 14th Street corridor was slowed, especially in the northbound direction near Rhode Island Ave. Motorists were warned to avoid the area.