The following stories are brought to you by the fine folks on the News4 assignment desk.
RELAX, GW HAS NOT BANNED THE iPAD
A Dow Jones News Wire article from late last week suggested that the George Washington University was among a handful of colleges that were "banning" iPads.
Because there is so much hype around Apple, this was repeated and exaggerated over and over. All the Apple fanboys
(and girls) were outraged at the idea that their $599 tablets would not be supported by universities that they may or may not attend or even live anywhere near. (DCist)
H STREET LANDS A GIANT
A deal is imminent to put a Giant Food LLC supermarket at Third and H streets NE, two blocks from Union Station, according to sources close to the transaction.
A highly placed Giant of Maryland executive confirmed the impending agreement with Chevy Chase-based Steuart Investment Co., the parcel’s developer, but asked not to be named because “the deal is not done,” and the “I’s and T’s [are] not crossed.”
In an e-mail, Guy Steuart, Steuart Investment director, would not confirm that he and Giant are close to a deal. But he is "happy the project has so much community interest and support, and I look forward to a groundbreaking in the near future," he said. (Washington Business Journal)
CONFLICTS HEATS UP OVER PROPOSED HOSPITAL IN UPPER MONTGOMERY
The contentious battle between two Montgomery County health care nonprofits vying to build a hospital in the rapidly growing upcounty is nearing a critical juncture, as both sides continue to criticize the other's proposal while touting support for their own.
A reviewer for the Maryland Health Care Commission, which will award the certificate needed to open the county's first new, full-service hospital in 30 years, is scheduled to meet with the applicants — Holy Cross Hospital and Adventist HealthCare — on May 20 to set a date for a hearing on the proposals. (Gazette.net)
METRO CHIEF SAYS RATE HIKES NEEDED
It's Richard Sarles's budget proposal now. The new interim general manager presented his budget proposal to the Metro board Thursday morning.
He outlined a budget plan that emphasizes fare increases over service cuts, but there would be some service cuts. The late night weekend hours would be cut back by an hour (affecting about 2,400 riders), some train runs would be eliminated on each line, and some station entrances would be closed at off-hours.
Sarles said that the fare increases and cuts reflect what the staff and the board heard during the recent public comment period. (Washington Post)