The following stories are brought to you by the fine folks on the News4 assignment desk.
LONG-DISTANCE DOG RESCUE
Free Lance-Star: "Ginna Sapanara has taken in a few rescue dogs over the years, including an Airedale terrier who chewed up everything but the kitchen sink.
But the dog who now lives in her Stafford County home has to take the prize for unusual rescues.
The dog was shipped to Sapanara from the Hawaiian island of Oahu, almost 5,000 miles away. Sapanara and her family were living in New Jersey at the time, and they agreed to take the dog sight unseen."
INTERROGATION VIDEO TOSSED IN DC PRINCIPAL'S MURDER
WTOP: Police went too far in questioning a suspect charged with a popular D.C. school principal's murder and prosecutors will not be able to show video of the interrogation during the trial, a judge has ruled.
Three weeks from now, Alante Saunders will be the first of four suspects to stand trial for the murder of Brian Betts. The 42-year-old principal of Shaw Middle School at Garnet-Patterson in D.C. Was found shot to death in his Silver Spring home April 15.
INJURED MCKINLEY STUDENT PROGRESSING AS QUESTIONS REMAIN
Washington Post: "Keon Blake went back into surgery Tuesday, the latest in what his mother says will be a series of operations to repair broken facial bones and two broken femurs suffered when the 17-year-old senior plunged from a third-floor balcony above the atrium of McKinley Technology High School Friday evening.
He is breathing without a ventilator, Janice Blake said, and improving a bit each day. But she said she is not satisfied with the cursory explanation officials have provided so far.
"There are still questions that have not been answered," said Janice Blake. "From what I saw, there is more to it.""
PEPCO SAYS VULNERABLE CUSTOMERS SHOULD HAVE A BACKUP PLAN
Gazette: "Customers who rely on electrically powered medical equipment are responsible for having a backup plan to keep it running when power goes out, Pepco's regional head said today.
"They have to have make plans for things individually or through their caretakers," Thomas Graham, the utility's regional president, told a joint meeting of the Montgomery County Council's Health and Human Services and Public Safety committees.
"To suggest that we take resources to move around and connect emergency generators would distract us from what we do," Graham said. "If they have a medical emergency, we suggest they call 911.""