The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is continuing to put in streetcar tracks at the intersection of South Capitol Street and Firth Sterling Avenue. The work is part of the construction of the initial Anacostia Streetcar Line that is scheduled to be up and running in late 2012.
Traffic through the intersection has already been reduced to one lane in each direction for the first phase of this construction, but please note the following new restrictions on turning vehicles beginning on Monday, November 9 at 9:30 a.m.:
- Traffic from the Naval Annex on Defense Boulevard will be prohibited from turning right onto southbound South Capitol Street from Defense Boulevard
- All outbound traffic from the Naval Annex to southbound South Capitol Street will be directed to take the following detour:
- Go through the intersection on Firth Sterling Avenue, SE
- Turn Left on Barry Road
- Right on Firth Sterling Avenue
- Left to go south on South Capitol Street
The detour is approximately ½ mile long.
This part of the construction is expected to be completed on or about Friday, November 21, 2009. However, additional work will continue on South Capitol Street and Firth Sterling Avenue until mid-January.
Drivers are encouraged to use alternate routes to avoid delays, including:
- I-295 North to Suitland Parkway to South Capitol Street SE
- Malcolm X Avenue SE to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue to W Street to 13th Street to I-295 North
- South Capitol Street SE to Suitland Parkway to I-295 South
- I-295 to 11th Street Bridge to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue to South Capitol Street