13 Dead, Including Alleged Gunman Who Was Civilian Contractor

Slain Guard Had Been at Navy Yard About a Year

Friday, Sep 20, 2013  |  Updated 4:05 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Slain Guard Had Been at Navy Yard About a Year

Richard Ridgell

advertisement

A security company says a contract guard who was killed at the Washington Navy Yard was an outstanding worker.

Michael Beasley of HBC Management Services says Richard Michael Ridgell joined the firm in September or October of last year.

Beasley declined to discuss the shootings Monday that left 13 dead, including gunman Aaron Alexis. The FBI says Alexis shot Ridgell and took his handgun in the lobby of Building 197.

Ridgell previously worked for other government contractors, including training police officers in Iraq. He was a Maryland State Police trooper from 1983 to 2000.

Ridgell worked as a security investigator for Johns Hopkins Medicine in Baltimore before he went overseas.

The 52-year-old Westminster resident was married and had three daughters. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out