10 Hospitalized, 100 Homeless in Silver Spring Fire

Two-alarm fire at building in the 9300 block of Piney Branch Road

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013  |  Updated 8:23 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
News4's Shomari Stone reports on what's being done to help residents displaced by Monday's apartment fire in Silver Spring, Md. One displaced resident is also dealing with the death of her 4-year-old son, who was killed in a car crash in May.

Shomari Stone

News4's Shomari Stone reports on what's being done to help residents displaced by Monday's apartment fire in Silver Spring, Md. One displaced resident is also dealing with the death of her 4-year-old son, who was killed in a car crash in May.

Photos and Videos

10 Hospitalized, 100 Homeless Following Maryland Apt. Fire

A fire caused by a socket sparking near a mattress displaced more than 100 residents of a Silver Spring, Md. apartment complex Tuesday.

Dog Rescued From Silver Spring Apartment Fire

A man tells News4's Shomari Stone how his dog was rescued from a two-alarm fire in Silver Spring.
More Photos and Videos

An electric socket sparking a mattress fire caused flames that displaced more than 100 residents of a Silver Spring, Md. apartment complex Tuesday afternoon.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue arrived shortly after 3:45 p.m. Tuesday to find fire and smoke coming from the balcony of the Forest Park apartment building in the 9300 block of Piney Branch Road. The flames began inside an apartment on the first floor and shot up all the way through the fourth floor.

Firefighters rescued a 24-year-old man from the building. Seven tenants and three firefighters were transported to local hospitals with minor, non-life-threatening injuries.

More than 100 people were displaced due to the fire, which was contained in about two hours.

"My back, my neck.. everything hurts. I'm just stressing out right now," one resident told News4's Shomari Stone. "My son's stuff, my daughter's back-to-school stuff I just spent $500 on [is ruined]."

Damage is estimated at $1 million to the structure and approximately $500,000 to items inside the apartments affected.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out