You may want to avoid driving near the Capitol Tuesday night. Capitol Police are shutting down many streets in the area starting at 7 p.m. due to the State of the Union address.
DDOT shared the following from Capitol Police on the closures:
North Side of Capitol Square:
- D Street NE between 2nd Street NE & Louisiana Avenue NW
- C Street NE between 2nd Street NE & Louisiana Avenue NW
- Constitution Avenue between 2nd Street NE & Louisiana Avenue NW
- Delaware Avenue between Columbus Circle & Constitution Avenue NE
- New Jersey Avenue NW between Louisiana Avenue & Constitution Avenue NW
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 1st & 3rd streets NW
- East Capitol Street between 2nd & 1st streets NE/SE
- 1st Street between Columbus Circle NE & C Street SE
- 1st Street between Louisiana Avenue, NW & Washington Avenue SW
- 2nd Street NE between Constitution Avenue & East Capitol Street NE
South Side of Capitol Square:
- Maryland Avenue SW between 1st & 3rd streets SW
- Independence Avenue between 2nd Street SE & Washington Avenue SW
- C Street between 1st Street SE & Washington Avenue SW
- Delaware Avenue between Washington Avenue SW & C Street SW
- New Jersey Avenue between Independence Avenue & D Street SE
- South Capitol Street between Independence Avenue & D Street SE/SW
Roads will reopen when the event had concluded.
Additionally, Capitol Square will be restricted to event-credentialed and authorized pedestrians only, beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- Obama State of the Union to Focus on Economy, Guns
- Md. Gun Control Advocate to Attend State of the Union
- State of the Union: 5 Speeches to Remember
- President Obama: "Our Journey Is Not Complete"
- Obama Starts New Term With Eye on History