Heat Wave Takes Toll on D.C. Region

Residents Sickened by Improper Use of Generators

Generator ignites fire

Sunday, Jul 1, 2012  |  Updated 2:33 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Storm Rips Off Roofs

Chronis Jons/Riser/Getty Images

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Raw Video: Storm Damage Across D.C.

Look at raw video of storm damage across D.C.

Storm Rips Off Roofs

News4's Darcy Spencer talks to area residents who are trying to rebuild.
More Photos and Videos

Residents of two homes were sickened by fumes caused by generators and a fire was started in a third home by improper use of a generator, Prince George’s County fire officials said.

Firefighters went to a home and removed a family of five that were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator placed too close to a fireplace vent on the house's exterior wall, department spokesman Mark Brady said. The five were taken to hospitals.

Saturday night, a resident put a generator on a front porch near an open door and CO fumes sickened the resident, who was treated by paramedics.

Also Saturday night, a generator placed too close to a house ignited a fire. There were no injuries, but damage was extensive.

In northwest D.C., three adults and three children were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning. One adult suffered life-threatening injuries.

Click here for tips from the National Safety Council on safe use of portable generators.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out