Pothole 411 | NBC4 Washington

Liz Crenshaw's Guide to Consumer Issues, Recalls and More

Pothole 411



    (Published Friday, Feb. 7, 2014)

    Potholes: they seem to be popping up everywhere right about now. We've got a roundup of your most frequently asked pothole-related questions:.

    How do potholes form, and why are we seeing so many right now?
    The Virginia Department of Transportation answered this question for us. VDOT says potholes are created when moisture from rain and snow seeps into the pavement. That moisture freezes and expands and then thaws out, which loosens the pavement. Combined with our winter of snow and ice, along with lots of freeze-thaw cycles mean more potholes than usual.

    Who should you call to report pot holes that need to be repaired?

    D.C.: Call 311 or complete this form.

    Pothole Problem Widening

    [DC] Pothole Problem Growing in D.C. Metro Area
    News 4's Derrick Ward reports on the growing number of potholes in the D.C. metro area and how people are dealing with them.
    (Published Monday, Feb. 17, 2014)

    Montgomery County: Call 311 or complete this form.

    Prince George's County: Call 311 or contact the Department of Public Works & Transportation.

    Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William Counties: Contact the Virginia Department of Transportation.

    Massive Pothole Problems Across Region

    [DC] Massive Pothole Problems Across Region
    A huge pothole in Alexandria is only one example of a big problem throughout Metro D.C. News4's Derrick Ward reports.
    (Published Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014)

    Arlington: Contact the Department of Environmental Services.

    Will a jurisdiction reimburse you for pothole damage to your car?

    All jurisdictions told us that claims are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

    In D.C., you file a claim with the City’s Office of Risk Management.

    In Maryland you file a claim with the State Treasurer's Office.

    In Virginia you file a claim with your local VDOT office.

    If your car suffers serious damage, you may still want to file an insurance claim in case you are denied any reimbursement.