The poisonous substance believed to have caused the death of two Centreville, Va., dogs in May has been identified as strychnine, police said.
Now investigators are trying to find out how the dog killer obtained the poison.
Prior to 1990, many rodent control products containing strychnine were used widely, however no strychnine pesticide products have been registered for use in Virginia since 1989, authorities said.
The mystery began May 26 when Animal Control officers were called to a home in the 15100 block of Olddale Road in Centreville.
Officers were told a 5-month-old pit bull puppy became ill after eating a meatball tainted with an unidentified, toxic substance. Officers determined that an adult West Highland terrier at a neighboring home ate a tainted meatball at around the same time. Both dogs have since died.
Investigators eventually found tainted meatballs in the backyards of three homes located near each other.
Police have conducted numerous interviews during the course of their investigation but have not made any arrests. There have been no additional poisonings in the area.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers. You can call 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637. You can also call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.