Pit Bull Saves Family of Five

Smoke alarms sounded, but it was Jasmine who woke them up

By Asha Beh
|  Saturday, Mar 28, 2009  |  Updated 4:15 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Pit Bull Saves Family of Five

Canine power saved the morning for one Alexandria family.

advertisement

The smoke alarms started going off, but it wasn't until a pit bull started barking that her family woke up and discovered a fire in the basement of their Alexandria home.

The fire, which started close to 1 a.m. Saturday morning in the two-story duplex at 37 South Gordon Street, started inside the dryer vent, according to officials.  It was spreading inside a wall behind the washer and dryer when a plastic water line ruptured and partly put the blaze out.

The family said that it was their pit bull, Jasmine, who alerted them to the fire.

Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000.  Alexandria fire department workers installed new smoke alarms in the home.

The family and Jasmine have made plans to stay with family and friends.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out