Pentagon Shootings Suspect Had Nothing Against Marines: Lawyer

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011  |  Updated 5:44 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Sources: Pentagon Scare Suspect Linked to Military Facility Shootings

Yonathon Melaku

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Marine Reservist Charged in Military Building Shootings

Yonathan Melaku, 22, is charged in five shootings at military buildings in Northern Virginia

Sources: Pentagon Scare Suspect Linked to Military Facility Shootings

Sources tell News4 the man arrested following a security scare at the Pentagon last week may be linked to suspicious shootings at military facilities in our area.
More Photos and Videos

The lawyer for an ex-Marine accused of firing potshots at the Pentagon and other military targets said his client does not have a grievance against the Corps.

Yonathan Melaku, 22, is charged in federal court with a series of overnight shootings beginning in October at targets including the Marine Corps museum in Quantico. He was arrested last month after police spotted him in Arlington National Cemetery after dark acting suspiciously.

Melaku appeared Wednesday at a pretrial hearing in Leesburg on unrelated state charges for larceny.

After the hearing his attorney Robert May said he believes Melaku was happy in his service as a Marine reserve but declined further comment on the federal charges.


Fan, Follow and Text: Get the latest from NBCWashington.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out