An outing in charming Old Town or any other spot in Alexandria, Va., now costs more if you decide to drive.
Parking rates are among several fee increases that went in effect Thursday.
- Meter rates: up from $1.00 to $1.75 per hour, in all parking zones
- Meter violations: from $35 to $40
- Towing: up from $100 to $125
- Impound lot storage: up from $30/day to $40/day
- Impound service fee: up from $70 to $80
- Resident parking permit: $30 for the first vehicle; $40 for the second vehicle; and $100 for each additional vehicle
- Excavation permit: up from $150 to $200 per permit
- Right-of-Way permit: up from $45 to $100 per permit
- Reserved parking for non-metered spaces: up from $10 to $20 per space/per day
- Reserved parking for metered spaces: up from $15 to $30 per space/per day
The Alexandria City Council approved the fee increase to help balance the 2011 budget.