Man Saves 19,000 Chicks From Fire in Virginia

All but one or two of the chicks escaped

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2013  |  Updated 11:36 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Top News Photos of the Week

Shutterstock

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

The owner of a chicken house saved thousands of chicks after the building caught fire, said a Shenandoah County, Va., fire official.

The fire occurred Monday afternoon just west of New Market.

Owner Roger Martin saw smoke and opened another section of the building, reported the Daily News-Record. That allowed all but one or two of 19,000 chicks to escape.

No injuries were reported.

The fire caused about $8,000 in damage to the building's roof. An electrical malfunction is the suspected cause.

Follow NBCWashington for the latest anywhere, anytime: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out