The self-described "oldest Black yacht club in the country" held its annual Black History Month celebration Saturday afternoon.
The Seafarers Yacht Club was founded in 1945 as the Seafarers Boat Club by Lewis T. Green, a wood carver and vocational arts teacher who built boats in his spare time. While searching for a place to dock one of his boats, Green stumbled on a site on the Anacostia River below the John Philip Sousa Bridge.
With the help of Mary McLeod Bethune and then-First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Green was able to rent the land for what was originally called Green's Boat Yard. Docks and a clubhouse were built later. In 1965, the club merged with the D.C. Mariners Boat Club. In 1985, the group began the Seafarers Yacht Club annual cleanup of the Anacostia River, which continues to this day.