MoCo Council Receives Pepco Reliability Update

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    If you were one of thousands of Pepco customers who lost power during winter storms, Pepco officials say they're sorry. (Published Monday, Feb 7, 2011)

    Top Pepco representatives presented a reliability update to members of the Montgomery County, Md., Council Monday.

    The hearing was called by Councilman Roger Berliner -- a vocal critic of the utility. He has demanded that Pepco create a restitution fund for customers who remained without power long after recent storms ended.

    Taking Aim at Pepco

    [DC] Taking Aim at Pepco
    Gov. Martin O'Malley vowed to hold Pepco responsible for outages and delays restoring service after last week's snowstorm. (Published Thursday, Feb 3, 2011)

    Berliner said the utility owes customers reliable service.

    "...Instead we have a public utility that allowed it's system to degrade over many years to the point where the service, on sunny days, is the worst in the state, worst in the region, and has been in the lowest quartile in the nation for the past five years," he said.

    Pepco: "Working as Hard as We Can to Restore Service"

    [DC] Pepco: "Working as Hard as We Can to Restore Service"
    Pepco President Thomas Graham visited NBC Washington to address concerns and frustrations over the latest round of thousands of power outages. (Published Friday, Jan 28, 2011)

    Pepco's vice president for power delivery, Dave Velazquez, outlined a six-point plan to improve reliability within five years.

    "We're not where we want to be meeting customer expectations, but we're gonna get there and that's our commitment," he said.

    Pepco is committing $574 million to upgrade infrastructure and protect power lines from trees, officials said.

    Listen to the complete story at wamu.org

    Copyright 2011 WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio. All Rights Reserved.