Crews are still working to fully restore electricity at a Prince George's County hospital after a Thursday night fire left the building working off backup generators.
Just 24 hours after a boiler room fire, Prince George's Hospital Center resumed full operations Friday evening.
Three transformers inside the hospital's boiler room caught fire around 7:30 p.m. Thursday during a pre-existing power outage in the Cheverly area. The hospital began running off generators and had regular power restored Friday.
The incident caused the hospital to declare a "mini emergency," meaning that it has not accepted any medevaced or ambulance patients between Thursday evening and 8 p.m. Friday. Officials told News4 they had canceled between 40 and 50 non-emergency surgeries Friday while they waited for the building temperature to cool to 78 degrees.
Osman Sulaima brought his daughter to the hospital Friday morning but was referred to another hospital for a cat scan.
"She has a little lump on the side of her neck here...," Sulaima said. "...but they said because of the power outage, they could not scan so they referred me to Children's Hospital."
More than 200 patients were at the hospital during the incident, and officials told News4 they were never in danger.
Prince George's Hospital Center is one of the two major trauma centers in the D.C. region.