Eight Montgomery County spas have been shut down after police say they operated as brothels, advertising adult services online.
According to police, officers conducted an investigation between September 2011 and January 2012 into several alleged brothels in the affluent Maryland county.
Police were tipped off about the possible crimes when they noticed a "dramatic" increase in acupuncture and massage parlor ads on adult websites, as well as complaints from residents. Six businesses were closed as a result of that investigation, but similar tips began pouring in last month.
Some neighbors noticed mattresses being pulled into Bethesda's LA Nails, as well as many men heading into the spas back room. An employee of a nearby store told News4 he noticed girls as young as 14 or 15 working at LA Nails.
As a result of the investigation, eight spas were shut down.
- Traditional Wellness – 9867 Main Street in Damascus
- Green Apple Massage – 350C Christopher Avenue in Gaithersburg
- Sunshine Day Spa – 615 S. Frederick Avenue, Unit B5 in Gaithersburg
- Soothing Care Spa – 849C Quince Orchard Boulevard in Gaithersburg
- Massage Spring Spa – 11630 Rockville Pike in Rockville
- Best Spa – 11625 Nebel Street in Rockville
- Massage Center – 589 West Deer Park Road in Gaithersburg
- LA Nails – 4928 St. Elmo Avenue in Bethesda
Police say several individals have been charged for providing massages without licenses and others have been charged with violations of use and occupancy permits.