Police have arrested a suspect in the dognapping of adorable cockapoo Margo -- and police say the suspect may be responsible for many more burglaries in northeast Washington.
Saturday, Metropolitan Police rescued Margo from a home on Benning Road in Northeast. The 2 1/2 year old dog had been taken Thursday in a home burglary on Benning Road.
A TV, laptop, tablet computers and other items were stolen, but it was Margo that Peterson was worried about. "She's my companion, she's who I come home to," Peterson said.
Margo's owner, Eric Peterson, told his story on News4 and on DCist; it was quickly picked up by social media with the hash tag #FindMargo. By Saturday, Margo had been found.
Margo was fine and reunited with Peterson. Now, police have charged someone in her dognapping -- and also charged the suspect with several other burglaries in the Northeast.
Reshawn Devonta Peay, 19, was charged with eight burglaries -- including thefts on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
He was charged in the following incidents:
- Dec. 3, 2013, 1500 block of Benning Road NE
- Dec. 17, 2013, 1500 block of Benning Road NE
- Dec. 24, 2013, 700 block of 16th Street NE
- Dec. 28, 2013, 700 block of 16th Street NE
- Dec. 31, 2013, 1600 block of Kramer Street NE
- Jan. 7, 2014, 700 block of 16th Street NE
- Jan. 19, 2014, 600 block of 16th Street NE
- Jan. 23, 2014, 1500 block of D Street NE
Police are investigating whether Peay is involved in any other similar offenses.
Individuals who have any information regarding this or other crimes should call police at 202-727-9099 or by text messaging 50411.