Man Rescued From Fairfax Co. Apartment Fire

Friday, Nov 8, 2013  |  Updated 12:02 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Power Strip Starts Fire at Fairfax Co. Apartment

advertisement

A man was rescued from his Fairfax County apartment after a power strip started a fire Friday morning, fire officials said.

Fire crews were called to The Jefferson Apartment Homes at 6166 Leesburg Pike in Fairfax County at 3 a.m. A second alarm was called to bring more crews to help extinguish the second floor apartment fire. 

The man rescued from the affected apartment was taken to the Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. There's no word on his condition at this time.

Officials say an electrical anomaly in a power strip is responsible for the fire, adding a smoke detector inside the apartment did not go off due to a dead battery.

More than 50 fire department personnel, including crews from Arlington County, responded to the fire. The fire caused $25,000 in damage.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department urges residents to remember these electrical safety tips:

  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.

  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.

  • If your power goes out often or the lights in your home flicker, produce an odor, or make noise, have an electrician inspect your wiring.

  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together. An electrician can install a GFCI for you.

  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by faceplates.

  • When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.

  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.

  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you don't have to use extension cords.

  • Don't tie or knot electrical cords.

  • Don't let furniture sit on electrical cords.

  • Follow the manufacturer's instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out