Kayaking can be hazardous, but one man’s trip to the Potomac River took a dangerous turn when he was on dry land.
The kayaker was bitten by a copperhead snake, according to volunteer fire officials near Hagerstown, Md.
According to a spokesman for the Hancock Volunteer Fire Co., rescuers were called at about 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown reports. The kayaker said he was bitten when he was taking a break along the water near Berm Road.
The man was flown to Meritus Medical Center, which has anti-venom serum.
The incident may have been a scary one, but apparently copperheads and rattlesnakes are common along the Potomac River in the Hancock area.