5-Year-Old, 15-Year-Old Dead After Prince George's County Fire

View Comments ()



    News4's Shomari Stone checks in with the family of the victims of the Capitol Heights fire. (Published Friday, Aug. 10, 2012)

    Two children died from injuries suffered during a fire in Capitol Heights, Md., according to the Prince George's County Fire Department.

    Three people were asleep inside a two-story duplex home in the 6300 block of Carrington Court about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday when a smoke alarm woke a 24-year-old man, according to Prince George's County fire.

    Two Children Died of Injuries Suffered in a Fire Wednesday

    [DC] Two Children Died of Injuries Suffered in a Fire Wednesday
    A 5-year-old girl and her 15-year-old uncle died from injuries suffered Wednesday in a fire in Capitol Heights, Md. News4's Tracee Wilkins reports. (Published Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012)

    Firefighters pulled two children from the duplex, removing them through a second-story window. CPR was performed on the children as they were rushed to a hospital in extreme critical condition, News4's Erika Gonzalez reported. Jade Buffaloe, 5, died from her injuries about 8 p.m. Wednesday. Her uncle, 15-year-old Rickey Cole, was pronounced dead about 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

    The girl's 24-year-old father is in critical condition with third-degree burns to about 50 percent of his body. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

    House Fire Kills Young Girl in Capitol Heights

    [DC] House Fire Kills Young Girl in Capitol Heights
    Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a house fire in Prince George's County, killing a 5-year-old girl and critically injuring three of her family members. (Published Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012)

    The girl's 52-year-old grandmother arrived at the scene after firefighters. She was taken to a hospital due to emotional distress.

    Fire investigators believe an overloaded electrical component sparked the fire. An air conditioner appeared to be powered through an extension cord and a power strip. Neither should be used in powering such units, according to manufacturer guidelines.

    Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.