Kitchen Mishap Sparks Big Apartment Fire

12 Suitland, Md. families displaced

By Tonya LaFleur
|  Saturday, Oct 2, 2010  |  Updated 10:28 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Kitchen Mishap Sparks Big Apartment Fire

NBC Washington

advertisement

Food is left cooking on a stove. That simple mistake had fiery consequences in Suitland, Md. Saturday morning.

Sirens blared down 23rd Parkway around 5 a.m. A fire that began in a first-floor apartment kitchen had quickly spread.

It took 30 firefighters from Silver Hill Fire & EMS and other nearby stations about 45 minutes to put the fire out.

Some of the apartment units were so badly damaged that 12 families were displaced. No one was hurt, but the fire caused about $100,000 in damage.

Unattended cooking is the number one cause of fire in Prince George’s County, according to fire officials.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out