How to Report an IRS Scam | NBC4 Washington

Susan Hogan and the Consumer Watch team covering your consumer concerns

How to Report an IRS Scam



    (Published Monday, March 16, 2015)

    If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS and asking for money or personal information, follow these steps:

    1. If you do owe taxes or think you may owe, call the IRS directly to work out payment. Do NOT do so over the phone with the caller. Hang up and call 1-800-829-1040.
    2. Report the call to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA). Call 1-800-366-4484 or visit
    3. Also, report the call to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Visit to file the complaint.