House Fire Starts After Power Restored

By Brandon Benavides
|  Thursday, Jul 29, 2010  |  Updated 1:01 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
House Fire Starts After Power Restored

Prince George's County Fire

A family’s home was nearly destroyed in a fire sparked after their electricity was restored.

It happened Wednesday afternoon in Oxon Hill, Md.

Officials with Prince George’s County said the house had been without electrical power since Sunday’s thunderstorms.
 
The people living in the home did not unplug all their electrical devices before the power was restored.
 
Seven adults and three children have been displaced since the fire.
 
Two firefighters suffered minor burns and a third was treated for smoke inhalation.
 
Damage to the home is estimated at $200,000.
 
Officials remind everyone who lost electricity for any period of time to turn off and unplug electrical appliances.
 
They said “by doing so, it will protect your appliances when electricity is restored and will reduce the risk of an accidental fire.”

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out