A Prince George’s County home caught fire early Saturday morning, but the family and the cats were able to get out safely.
West Lanham Fire Department officials said crews arrived at the 6800 block of Woodstream Drive in Lanham-Seabrook, Md., and discovered fire had engulfed the attached garage and extended to the second floor.
Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in 20 minutes. The family and three cats were all accounted for and safe.
Fire investigators said an electrical malfunction in the garage is to blame for the fire. The home had working smoke alarms, allowing the famiy to get out safely.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary shelter.