Firefighters at the scene of a house fire at the home of federal Judge Liam O'Grady in McLean, Monday, Dec. 5, 2011.
Fairfax County fire investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire at a federal judge’s house in McLean, Va.
It happened at the home of U.S. District Judge Liam O'Grady about 7:30 p.m. Monday. He and his family were not hurt.
Firefighters said when they arrived at the house on Massachusetts Avenue, flames were coming from the front and sides of the three-story home. About 50 to 60 firefighters put out the fire in about 15 minutes.
A teen was home at the time. Smoke alarms alerted him of the fire, firefighters said.
U.S. marshals also responded because it was a federal judge's home.
Damage is estimated at $300,000. Two adults, two juveniles and two dogs were displaced.