House Fire Caused by Smoking Materials, Officials Say | NBC4 Washington

House Fire Caused by Smoking Materials, Officials Say

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Shutterstock

    Improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire at a Fairfax County home early Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

    Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department responded to the home at 13303 Hollinger Ave. in Chantilly around 1 a.m. Wednesday. There, firefighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the attached garage.

    Marcos del Mazo/LightRocket via Getty Images

    Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about  20 minutes, with only minor smoke and fire getting into the inside of the home.

    A man who was home at the time sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital, where he was treated and released.

    Damage is estimated at $65,000.

    Fire investigators said the fire was accidental. Authorities released the following tips to discard smoking materials safely:

    • Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away, as they can smolder and cause a fire.
    • Never smoke in bed.
    • Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers.
    • Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
    • Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
    • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
    • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
    • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
    • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.

    Follow NBCWashington for the latest anywhere, anytime:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts