Six Fairfax County Police officers who died in the line of duty were recognized Thursday for their sacrifice and service.
The police department held a memorial service at the Public Safety Rose Garden, located behind police headquarters at 4100 Chain Bridge Road.
There was a wreath-laying, and family members of the fallen officers placed a single rose at the foot of the memorial.
It was one of many gatherings leading up to National Police Week, which starts on Monday.
According to a Fairfax County police press release, the six officers who were remembered are:
- Second Lieutenant Frank Stecco who died during a water rescue training exercise in the waters of Pohick Bay on Oct. 25, 2008.
- Detective Vicky Armel and MPO Michael Garbarino, killed when a gunman opened fire at the Sully District Station on May 8, 2006.
- Captain Tommy Bernal, killed when a vehicle struck his motorcycle during a training exercise June 28, 2001.
- Special Officer Hendrick “Sandy” Gideonse, killed in a crash on Dec. 3, 1998, while working.
- Officer Karen Bassford, killed in an automobile crash while responding to a burglary call on July 27, 1977.