Honors for 6 Fallen Fairfax County Officers
Officers remembered at service to mark National Police Week
Six Fairfax County Police officers who died in the line of duty were recognized Thursday for their sacrifice and service.
The police department held a memorial service at the Public Safety Rose Garden, located behind police headquarters at 4100 Chain Bridge Road.
There was a wreath-laying, and family members of the fallen officers placed a single rose at the foot of the memorial.
It was one of many gatherings leading up to National Police Week, which starts on Monday.
According to a Fairfax County police press release, the six officers who were remembered are:
- Second Lieutenant Frank Stecco who died during a water rescue training exercise in the waters of Pohick Bay on Oct. 25, 2008.
- Detective Vicky Armel and MPO Michael Garbarino, killed when a gunman opened fire at the Sully District Station on May 8, 2006.
- Captain Tommy Bernal, killed when a vehicle struck his motorcycle during a training exercise June 28, 2001.
- Special Officer Hendrick “Sandy” Gideonse, killed in a crash on Dec. 3, 1998, while working.
- Officer Karen Bassford, killed in an automobile crash while responding to a burglary call on July 27, 1977.