Historic Virginia Sanctuary Finally Reopens After 2011 Quake
Sanctuary of a 198-year-old Culpeper church has reopened almost a year after it was damaged by the region's 5.8-earthquake.
A sign on the door let customers know the Four Seasons Fitness club was closed on Aug. 24, 2011, the day after a 5.8 earthquake in Mineral, Va. The epicenter of the quake, the East Coast's largest since 1944, was located a few miles outside of Mineral, a town of 430 people located about 50 miles west of Richmond.
The sanctuary of a 198-year-old Culpeper church has reopened almost a year after it was damaged by a magnitude 5.8-earthquake.
The congregation at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church held a rededication ceremony for the sanctuary on Sunday, the
Culpeper Star Exponent reports
The quake on Aug. 23, 2011 caused about $500,000 total damage to the church, including the sanctuary's walls and stained glass windows.
St. Stephen's will celebrate its 200th anniversary in November 2014.
Published at 10:10 AM EDT on Aug 13, 2012
Copyright Associated Press