Michelle and Todd Bracken, owners of Frosting in Chevy Chase, dropped by News4 Today to show off some healthy granola bars.
Michelle and Todd Bracken, owner of Frosting in Chevy Chase have started Friends in Training or FIT. It's a running club that meets every Saturday at their cupcake shop. They run 3-5 miles through Chevy Chase and end at the shop where runners indulge in healthy treats. Michelle and Todd talked about the club and shared one of their favorite healthy recipes. For more information visit their website at FrostingDC.com
Frosting FIT (Friends in Training) Coconut & Almond Granola Bar
Yield: 14 granola bars
Bake: 325 degrees
Time: 20 minutes
15 ounces Oats
10 ounces All-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking soda
0.25 cup + 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed
6 ounces Honey
8 ounces Applesauce
10.5 ounces Coconut flakes
4.8 ounces Brown sugar
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4 ounces Sliced almonds
4 ounces Mini chocolate chips
1. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and flaxseed and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine honey, applesauce, coconut flakes, brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Combine dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix again.
4. Fold in almonds and mini chips.
5. Spray a 15” x 10” baking sheet with butter spray and pour mixture into pan.
6. Press mixture into pan with hands and finish by using a potato masher to firmly press mixture into pan.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool. Cut into 14 equal bars. Store in an airtight container.