HVAC Unit Catches Fire on Roof of UMD Dorm

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    University of Maryland police say the HVAC unit on the roof of Oakland Hall caught fire Monday morning, injuring two workers.

    University of Maryland police say the HVAC unit on the roof of Oakland Hall caught fire Monday morning, injuring two workers.

    Prince George's County Fire and EMS spokesman Mark Brady said the pair was working on a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof Monday morning when the fire occurred, accompanied by a blast. He says no fire was evident by the time fire fighters arrived.

    Brady says one worker was taken to a hospital in serious condition with possible burns and lacerations that were not considered life-threatening and the other had minor injuries.

    Oakland Hall, a 9-story dormitory, was evacuated. But Brady said most students are currently on winter break until the spring term begins later this month. The building has since re-opened.