A Montgomery County judge denied bond on Tuesday for Kevin Ray, the suspect in a series of home invasion robberies and sexual assaults in Maryland.
At a bond hearing for a man accused in three violent home invasions, prosecutors revealed graphic new details about the crimes and the possible motives behind them.
A judge ordered Kevin Ray held without bond Tuesday in Montgomery County, Md.
Ray told police that he and a partner in crime had been robbing drug dealers in D.C., but his partner was killed, prosecutors said. The home invasion spree was a better criminal pursuit for one person.
"He claims he started this crime spree because he was on his own now,” prosecutor Peter Feeny said.
“That is a statement he made to the officials here, when he was being questioned, that he is out there on his own because his partner had been killed recently in some activities in D.C.,” Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy said.
Police say Ray committed the three home invasions, as well as two sexual assaults, within a four-day period in Wheaton, Bethesda and Temple Hills last week before fleeing to North Carolina, where he was captured Saturday.
He appeared in court with a bandage on his face and walking with crutches. Police said he was injured while resisting arrest.
Prosecutors provided harrowing details of the crimes.
In the Wheaton case, the victim was holding her infant child when Ray confronted her in her garage, prosecutors said. He told her not to make a sound or he would shoot her and the child. He locked the woman and her baby in a closet and drove off in her car, prosecutors said.
In the Bethesda case, Ray sexually assaulted a housekeeper in a shower and then turned on the water to wash away his DNA, prosecutors said.
In the Temple Hills case, Ray, who is a registered sex offender whose DNA is on file, raped the victim twice, according to prosecutors.
“There were threats to kill not only the women who were the primary victims in these cases but also to kill their children,” McCarthy said.
In 1995, Ray pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of Theodore Newby and was sentenced to five years in prison. In 2005, he went to prison again for the armed robbery and sexual assault of a woman in Clinton. His record also includes other robbery and gun charges. He was released from prison in September 2010.