Commuters should be aware of a funeral procession that could slow the morning rush for some.
Maj. Robert J. Marchanti, 48, of Baltimore, died Feb. 25 in an attack on the Afghan Interior Ministry in Kabul. Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley has ordered that the United States and state flags be flown at half-staff in memory of the Maryland Army National Guard major.
The procession route is as follows:
- Depart Evans Funeral Chapel, 8800 Harford Road, Parkville, at 5 a.m.
- Travel north on Harford Road to the Baltimore Beltway (I-695)
- Travel west on the Baltimore Beltway toward Towson to I-95 on the southwest side of the Beltway
- Travel south on I-95 to the Capital Beltway (I-495)
The procession is expected to reach the Capitol Beltway between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m., depending on traffic.
- Travel west on the Capitol Beltway to the American Legion Memorial Bridge
- After crossing into Virginia, the procession will exit the Capital Beltway and travel south on the George Washington Memorial Parkway to Arlington National Cemetery