Firefighters Battle Blaze in Cabin John

No one home at time of fire

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A tearful homeowner said he accidentally set fire to his Cabin John home. (Published Thursday, Oct 20, 2011)

    Two firefighters suffered minor injuries battling a blaze in Cabin John Thursday afternoon.

    The fire started in the basement of the house about 3 p.m. in the 6600 block of Seven Lock Road and moved throughout. The house became fully engulfed by intense flames, and a short time after entering the house, firefighters evacuated.

    Two firefighters suffered injuries related to extreme heat but were not hospitalized.

    The homeowner said he accidentally ignited the fire, News4's Shomari Stone reported.

    “I was moving some stuff in the basement,” Robert Mattia said. “I was trying to clear out some old junk I had. I was moving this metal shelf and I tripped over something and the shelf went into the electric panel. It just exploded.”

    He said he was shocked and crawled up the stairs on all fours to escape.