Fire That Killed 82-Year-Old Virginia Man Started at Bedroom Wall Outlet | NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Fire That Killed 82-Year-Old Virginia Man Started at Bedroom Wall Outlet

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fire That Killed 82-Year-Old Virginia Man Started at Bedroom Wall Outlet
    Fairfax County Fire and Rescue
    Firefighters respond to a house fire on Logan Ct. in Fairfax County, Virginia.

    Improper use of extension cords and surge protectors at a wall outlet contributed to a fire that killed an 82-year-old Virginia man, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue said.

    The fire was electrical in nature and started before 4 p.m. Saturday at a wall outlet in a bedroom of a home in the 3700 block of Logan Court in the Alexandria section of the county.

    When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke coming from the house.

    Jack Darris Thomas, 82, was found inside and taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. He later died, fire officials said.

    Elderly Man Killed in House Fire

    [DC] Elderly Man Killed in House Fire
    An elderly man was killed in a house fire in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. News4's Darcy Spencer reports.
    (Published Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016)

    Officials don't know why the man wasn't able to escape. The home did have a smoke alarm but it's unclear if it activated, according to the fire department.

    A cat was also found dead at the home.