A home in Montgomery County caught fire early Saturday morning, but everyone – including the family pets – survived.
Montgomery County Fire said a house in the 4400 block of Bennion Road in Silver Spring, Maryland, was brought under control after 6 a.m. Six people, including one child, escaped the blaze.
One of the residents rescued an 86-year-old woman before firefighters arrived. She was taken to a hospital with smoke inhalation but is expected to survive.
Several pets were also rescued and provided care by EMS crews.
Several pets (2 dogs, cat, rabbit, turtles) from Bennion Rd were rescued & some provided oxygen - all survived pic.twitter.com/nMCsjt7RbN
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) August 30, 2014
None of the smoke detectors worked – the batteries apparently had been removed – but one of the occupants woke up to smoke and alerted the others in the home.
Streets in the Veirs Mill Village neighborhood were blocked as about 75 firefighters worked to put out the flames.
The fire apparently originated in the area of the back porch and appears to be accidental.