Firefighters in Alexandria responded to a well-known restaurant in Old Town early Sunday morning following a report of smoke.
The alarm at Bugsy's Pizza Restaurant & Sports Bar at 111 King Street was sounded shortly before 9 a.m. Officials say that the incident was not major and stemmed from an issue with an HVAC unit that filled the building with smoke. Fire officials told News4 that no fire was ever seen.
Alexandria firefighters were assisted by Fairfax County firefighters due to the restaurant's location amidst the historic buildings of Old Town.
Bugsy's has been operating at the King Street location since 1983 and takes its name from Bryan "Bugsy" Watson, who co-owns the restaurant with his wife Lindy. Watson opened the restaurant after retiring from a 16-year career in professional hockey, which included three years spent with the then-fledgling Washington Capitals (1976-79).
The 100 block of King Street was briefly closed while firefighters checked the building to make sure it was cleared of smoke. The block has since re-opened to traffic. No injuries were reported.The restaurant re-opened shortly after 3 p.m.